A meeting I had recently with the wonderful Dr Ruth Richardson (a medical historian and author) revealed that it was quite common during WW1 for men, who were close to death, to cry out for their mother’s. This piece of information confirmed my own feelings, that in death the men would not have been thinking of war, but of home and their loved ones. The connection with the pillowcase and domesticity is therefore all the more relevant.
These men, all buried side by side, their presence marked by near identical grave stones, bearing little reference to the men as individuals. They show their name, rank, number. Regimental badge and a line, chosen by the relatives from a given selection. This lack of the individual struck me quite forcibly and through this project I hope to explore these thoughts, of labels, catalogues and numbering.
At this time households would have mostly had white cotton or linen pillowcases. They were made individual by adding embroidery and lace edges. My first point of research will be actual pillowcases that i have been buying from second-hand shops and online. It is very common to only find one pillow case, hand embroidered, very rarely a pair. Some I have found are embroidered with the word ‘HERS’, but I have yet to find one embroidered with ‘HIM’. It leads me to ask, why so many single, embroidered pillow cases? Where is their partner? And why none with ‘HIM’ embroidered on them. Many die in their sleep and I wonder if the pillow cases become separated when one partner dies, or when a house contents is sold. Many of the pillowcases I have been buying are stained and torn; evidence of the person whose head lay on it.
My ramblings must sound very morbid. They are not intended to be. I find I have to go through this process of thinking, exploring and thinking again. Not only to make sense of my own ideas but to make sense of the materials and techniques I want to use. To verify and validate each aspect is important to my practice and plays a major part in informing my work.
So, beginning with the pillowcases, I have been working in my studio. Initially, making castings out of plaster. The intention to use these as collagraph plates to make prints. This process allows me to look at the embroidery as an image. To see what it suggests, or evokes. How it affects the paper I print on. Images of the castings so far can be seen on my Gallery page.